Christmas trees can become a big hazard. Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are likely to be very serious. Dry trees can ignite up very quickly. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), a heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every four of tree fires, and one of every three tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
Always choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched. Before placing the tree in the stand, cut at least 2” from the base of the trunk. Put the freshly cut trunk in water within 2 hours to keep it from sealing over.
Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat sources such as fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
Most importantly, add water to the tree stand, and be sure to add water daily. This is the best way to avoid a serious tree fire.
Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home, or going to bed.
Get rid of the Christmas tree after the Holidays, or when it is dry. A dried out tree is a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside the home.
Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful offers an annual Christmas Tree Recycling program.