Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District's Ride Along Program allows citizens 18 years of age and older the opportunity to see what it's really like to be a fire fighter. And it's not just fire fighting, it's so much more. See the form below to get started, or call 775-326-6000.
1. Ride-along participants will be allowed to ride along with an on-duty crew from the hours of 0800- 2000.
a. Exception: Qualified VFD members may ride along for the entire shift and/or rotation at the discretion of the on duty Captain and Battalion Chief.
b. Exception: Where the crew/apparatus is committed on an incident, the ride-along participant may continue his ride along past 2000 hours. Special arrangements will not be made to remove the ride-along participant from the crew/apparatus which will interfere with the incident.
2. Participants shall arrive at the Station no less than fifteen (15) minutes prior to the start of their scheduled ride-along time. If a participant arrives less than fifteen (15) minutes prior to the start of their scheduled ride-along time and has made no attempt to contact the Station where they are scheduled, it will be at the discretion of the Station Captain whether or not the participant is allowed to continue with the ride-along.
a. Any ride-along participant who is sent home for being late will be offered one (1) more opportunity to participate in a ride-along. If the participant arrives late for their re-scheduled ride-along, they may not be offered a third opportunity for a ride-along. This participant may then not be allowed to participate in the TMFPD’s ride-along program.
3. Participants will be expected to bring their own food supply to last them through the day (i.e. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner). The ride-along should not expect to have food provided for them by the on-duty crew or that they will have the opportunity to visit the grocery store during their ridealong time. The ride along participant may be invited to participate in group meals with the on-duty crew, but should not expect it.
4. Participants will be expected to participate in all of the daily duties that the on-duty crew is completing, to a level that is comfortable to the participant. Participants should be self-motivated and should spend available free time working on items related to the purpose for their ride-along. Participants should not use down time to sleep/watch television or waste time by other means.
5. When on an emergency scene, the participant shall remain in the vehicle until directed by the Station Captain that they may leave the vehicle.
a. Due to the potential danger associated with wildland fire incidents, participants shall not respond when dispatched to a wildland fire incident.
b. Participants shall be observers only and are not allowed to work or provide care on the emergency scene.
a. Qualified VFD members –
i. Shirt: Volunteer Department issued T-shirt.
ii. Dress Shirt: Volunteer Department issued uniform shirt.
iii. Pants: Dark Blue 100% cotton (or FR) slacks or 100% cotton (or FR) EMT style pants. Writing and emblems are not acceptable. Pants must be in good condition.
iv. Belt: Black belt, minimal buckle.
v. Shoes: Black and polished station style boots.
vi. Jacket: Volunteer Department issued sweatshirt, jacket or coat.
vii. Socks: Solid black or white in color.
viii. Educational related ride-a-longs may wear their required program uniform as long as they are well kept, clean and in a professional looking manner. If no course clothing is required then the above guidelines will apply
b. Non-VFD participants –
i. Shirt: White 100% cotton shirt. Writing and emblems are not acceptable.
ii. Pants: Dark blue 100% cotton (or FR) slacks. Writing and emblems are not acceptable. Pants must be in good condition.
iii. Belt: Black belt, minimal buckle.
iv. Shoes: Station style boots or Hiking boots with ankle support.
v. Jacket: Any type of dark sweatshirt, jacket, coat. Writing and emblems are not acceptable.
vi. Socks: Solid black or white in color.
7. ATTIRE WITH TRUCKEE MEADOWS FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT LOGOS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE WORN BY PARTICIPANTS DURING THE RIDE-ALONG PROGRAM.
8. Facial body piercings (ears-one stud piercing in each ear will be allowed) must be removed before reporting for a ride-along. An attempt must also be made to cover as many tattoos as possible (i.e. long sleeves to cover multiple arm tattoos).
9. Male ride-along participants shall arrive with a clean shaven face in accordance with TMFPD policy 1.2.12.
10. If a ride-along participant fails to arrive for their scheduled shift in the proper uniform, or fails to meet the TMFPD ride-along physical appearance standards, the Station Captain will send the participant home. An opportunity will be allowed for a future ride-along.
11. Participants are expected to act in a mature and professional manner.
12. Seat belts will be worn at all times when riding in any TMFPD vehicle or apparatus.
13. Participants shall follow any lawful order given to them by any responsible TMFPD official without question or argument. Participation in the program may be TERMINATED at any time at the discretion of the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District.